In the modern day, electricity is a basic homestead utility that is commonly used to facilitate comfortable living. Electrical connections in houses, however, do experience certain connectivity problems. Failure to detect electric connection faults may ultimately lead to unfortunate electric accidents or even disconnection of the entire homestead in case the fault escalates. Here are some telltale signs of an electrical connection issue in a home.
Flickering lights are a common occurrence in instances of loose wiring connectivity. It is also an indication that the electric current applied across the wiring is not stable. Such fluctuations in the electrical connection can lead to further issues such as overloading of appliances and instantaneous electric fires.
Buzzing sounds are common in switches and sockets. They may be accompanied by sparks emanating from the sockets and other terminal points. Buzzing sounds can also cause flickering lights and power surges along the electrical connection. If unchecked, such buzzing sounds may deteriorate to cause an explosion in the presence of flammable liquids.
Burning Plastic Odors
The smelling of burning plastic is normally the first telltale sign of a major electric issue along the houses’ wiring. It is caused by excessive heating of electric wiring, thereby causing the plastic to soften. If unchecked, such heating may deteriorate further to cause an electric fire.
Tripping of Circuit Breakers
Circuit breakers are designed to act as the first line of defense against electric issues such as overloading. Instances where circuit breakers trip more often, as often as several times in a day, maybe a clear indication of poor wiring connectivity in the house. It may also indicate that the fuses and terminals used in the wiring are not correctly placed, thereby demanding the immediate attention of an electrician.
Melting of Fuses and Appliances
In situations where appliances in the house break down after connecting to the electric power, it may be a clear indication that the electrical system in the house has a major issue. The first culprit, in this regard, is an overload or unmetered electrical connectivity where more current than necessary is allowed to flow. This may be accompanied by further issues such as melting of fuses as a result of exposure to a surge in electrical current.
Instances of such telltale signs of an electrical problem in a home should prompt the homeowner or occupant to seek immediate help from a qualified professional electrician for diagnosis and fixation of the problem.